Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My First Run: Biodiversity Fun Run

After a number of encouragements from my officemates, I gave in to their request of joining a fun run. But I never expected it to be:

  1. An out of town run (at UPLB)
  2. A trail run
Initially, I prefer to run a 5K distance; but MinnieRunner is dead serious in convincing me to run a 10K. She even promised to run side by side with me. So I did. We registered for 10K (together with MinnieRunner, RunningAtom, and ChickenLegs); while the others registered for 5K (RunningStitches and XiaiWalker).

As for my preparations for my first ever run, I worked out regularly and read informative articles from the net. And I believe it paid off.

Come race day, I (we, actually) am surprised to know that this ain’t a fun run; it is in fact a TRAIL RUN! But I guess my fear is overpowered by the excitement of being a newbie. I ran, ran, and ran some more. I even left MinnieRunner and ChickenLegs behind. We all targeted to finish the race at 1 hour and 30 minutes.

I am startled seeing a number of runners already on their way back while I’m still climbing the trails. Yes, I said climbing. It was all uphill on the first 5K of the route. Not to mention that it is muddy, slippery, and rocks!

The Trail



But it does not really bother me much; instead, it made me ran faster.

After reaching the turn around point, MinnieRunner was able to catch up with me.

MinnieRunner catching up on me

We ran side by side then. She laughed at me every time I hydrate – then burp; hence, the birth of my penname – BurpRunner. I don’t know, most likely, I am just afraid of being dehydrated (or worse, heat stroke).

On the final 2K of the route (I guess), I left MinnieRunner behind and push myself to my limits once I reached the road. Fortunately, RunningAtom captured a runner’s profile kind of shot on my way to the finish line.

On my way to the FINISH line

I registered 01:29:25 ranking 96th out of 162 10K runners. And that was a fulfilling one. Happiness is an understatement.

I guess, with too much of an excitement, I find myself in pain the night after the race. It’s too painful for me to move my legs. Nonetheless, I had a very memorable experience – a memorable first – first TRAIL run. And yes, I’m addicted now to RUNNING.

2 comments:

MinnieRunner said...

Congratulations on your very first run, which happens to be a trail run pala, he he :)

BurpRunner said...

Thanks! madz i really had fun on my first run :D